As the weather heats up, it's the perfect time to whip up this ice cream catnip toy!
You will need
- Dried catnip
- Wadding (optional)
- Embroidery silk
1. Cut out the pattern (find this here) and pin to your coloured felt. Cut the felt, leaving a 0.5cm seam allowance.
2. Using embroidery silk in a contrasting colour, stitch a lattice effect to the cone felt (you could do this on a sewing machine if you prefer). Blanket stitch around the longer curved edge of the cone.
3. Fold the felt to form a cone shape and pin, then whip stitch the seam.
4. Fill your cone with dried catnip (you could also add some wadding if you don't have enough catnip).
5. Next, take the ice cream piece of felt. Making sure you have enough thread to sew the entire circle in one go, sew a running stitch around the circumference (double up the thread for strength) and leave a 'tail' at the knot end. Pull both ends of the thread to form a ball shape. Fill with catnip, pull the thread as tightly as you can and secure with knots.
6. Securely sew the cone to the ice cream.
7. Decorate your catnip ice cream using scraps of felt and embroidery thread - this is where you can get really creative. Finally, present to your cool cat!
Click here to download a free template for the catnip ice cream pattern.
With thanks to toy designer Freak MEOWt for creating this fabulous catnip toy, exclusively for Your Cat readers! For more information, and to browse Freak MEOWt's collection of catnip toys, visit www.notonthehighstreet.com/freakmeowt or find Freak MEOWt on Facebook.