Combine a love for cats and baking to create these kitty cupcakes - for human consumption!
You will need
For the cupcakes:
110g butter, softened
2 large eggs
110g caster sugar
110g self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the buttercream icing:
150g butter, softened
300g icing sugar
Cocoa powder (if making chocolate brown kitties)
Ready-to-roll icing in pink, black and brown
Food colouring in desired colours
White chocolate buttons and additional decorations for eyes/nose (chocolate chips, sugar hearts, sugar balls etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a cupcake/muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Add the sugar and butter to a large bowl and mix together until pale.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, beating the eggs in gradually.
- Fold in the flour until the mixture is at a dropping consistency.
- Half-fill the cupcake cases with the mixture and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and set aside on a cooling rack until cool.
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until it softens.
- Add half of the icing sugar into the bowl, beating until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and keep mixing until it is at a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Add a few drops of the food colouring of your choice (if using) and stir until the mixture is your desired shade. If making brown kitties, add a few tablespoons of cocoa powder until the desired shade. For cream kitties, leave the mixture as it is.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe individual stars all over the top of the cupcake as fur, building up the layers as desired.
- Roll out your ready-to-roll icing and cut out two large triangle shapes in the same colour as your buttercream icing (use white chocolate buttons and cut these into triangles for the cream kitties) and two slightly smaller in pink.
- Place one pink triangle on top of the large triangle to create an ear, and repeat.
- Cut out two black eye shapes, small thin strips for the whiskers in black or brown, and one pink nose shape (use pink decoration if desired).
- Stick on the ears, eyes, whiskers and nose to complete your tasty kitty cupcake.
This craft feature was originally printed in the November 2015 issue of Your Cat Magazine.