Macaroons are all the rage so this cat-shaped recipe is just purrfect! For human consumption only!
You will need:
125g ground almonds
200g icing sugar
3 free-range egg whites
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp cream of tartar
Content continues after advertisements
Red food colouring
200g white chocolate, chopped
200ml double cream
15g unsalted butter
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Then slowly whisk in the cream of tartar and caster sugar.
- Fold in the food colouring, almonds and icing sugar.
- Pipe the mixture onto a grease-proof paper lined baking tray in cat shapes - aim for 3-4cm circles with pointy ears. Tap the tray to release any air bubbles, then leave to rest for 60 minutes, or until a slight skin forms.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/315F/Gas 2 and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Leave to cool for five minutes and then carefully peel the macaroons from the paper.
- For the white chocolate filling, heat the cream and chocolate over a low heat, add the butter and a dash of the food colouring, then stir until smooth.
- Once cool, use filling to sandwich the macaroons together. Purrfect!