A warning has been issued after two cats are killed by antifreeze


02 October 2018
A warning has been issued by the RSPCA after a cat owner’s two pets died from suspected antifreeze poisoning within days of each other, and it is understood other cats in the area have also been poisoned.

Mandy Beard, 37, of Crewe Street, Shrewsbury, told how both her cats - named Frank and Betty - died within a few days of each other after returning home when they had been outside.

The first cat, Frank, returned home ill on August 31 and he was rushed to the vets but had to be put to sleep to end his suffering.

Then on September 4 Betty returned home in a similar state and the vet also had to put her to sleep.

The vet believes both cats died after ingesting a toxin which is understood to have been antifreeze, and Mandy, and partner David Hart said there have been suspected cat poisonings in the area over recent years, including a neighbour’s cat who died a week later.

Mandy said: “These experiences with Frank and Betty will haunt me forever. I had to watch them die. On both occasions the cats deteriorated during the night and I sat up trying to help them until the vets opened.

“The vet confirmed in both cases that the pets were poisoned and I just want to let other cat owners know about this.

“We don’t know if it was intentional or accidental poisoning but we do know the cats suffered terribly and this has caused us so much grief. I have been very low since we had to put them to sleep.”

Content continues after advertisements

Her partner David Hart, 40, said: “We had rescued both these cats after they were dumped in a field and they were only aged one.

“They were like children to us. We just don’t want anyone else going through what we have but we understand there has been a number of similar incidents over the last few years.”

RSPCA chief inspector Kelly Lake, who is investigating the deaths, has issued a warning to all cat owners in the area and is also keen for anyone with information to get in touch.

She said: “We ask people who are using antifreeze to make sure they are extremely careful in their storage of it and how they dispose of it. At this stage we cannot rule out the possibility that this is intentional poisoning.

“If anyone has any information which can help us with our investigation they should call 0300 123 8018.”

What are the signs of poisoning?

Signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after ingestion to two or three days. This can include some, or all of the following symptoms: vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk or uncoordinated, seizures and difficulty breathing.

Content continues after advertisement