Leading pet care brand Bob Martin takes you through the essential steps all cat owners should follow to treat and protect their furry friends.
Did you know a single female flea can lay up to 50 eggs daily? That means that if you’re not careful, you could have an infestation on your hands in just a few days!
Luckily, Bob Martin has been working hard for well over a hundred years to make vet-quality healthcare solutions at affordable prices. They certainly know a thing or two when it comes to the importance of being prepared for the flea, tick, and worm season when it arrives.
Spring and summer months present a much higher risk factor for our cats coming into contact with parasites when roaming during the warmer weather. If not properly treated, fleas can lay eggs in your home. Developing into larvae, they hide away in furnishings and under beds and sofas, where they develop into adult fleas and feed from human and pet blood.
An infestation can be tricky to clear if you are not using the correct products and treating your home, as well as your cat.
Not only are fleas, ticks, and worms pesky parasites, they can transmit nasty diseases which are dangerous to pets and humans — and in the worse possible case can even result in death. Infectious diseases can include Lyme disease, Anaplasmosis, and Tick Borne Encephalitis Virus (TBE), which is why it’s critical to deal with the problem straight away.
It’s important to treat your home, as well as your cat.
THREE SIMPLE STEPS TO MAKE SURE YOU’RE WELL PREPARED
1. Check regularly to see if you’ve got a problem
● Check behind your cat’s ears, head, and neck. You should be able to feel a lump should a tick be present.
● Place your cat on some white paper, then comb them with a flea comb. Flecks of black that change to red when you wet the paper are signs of flea dirt.
● Keep an eye out to see if your cat is constantly nibbling or scratching themselves.
Bob Martin offer treatments as tablets or spot ons.
2. Treat your pet and your home
If you’ve identified that your cat has fleas or ticks, here’s how to treat them:
1. First off, use the Bob Martin Flea Tablet, checking product instructions and weighing your cat to ensure appropriate dosage. The tablets provide an immediate response to treat infestations — killing all fleas within 24 hours!
2. Alternatively, select a Bob Martin Clear Plus Spot On product for your cat, which can be applied at intervals of four weeks.
3. If used properly, these will completely eradicate the infestation and your cat should soon be back to full health.
4. Even though your cat might be free of fleas, your home will likely now have an infestation. To treat it, use the Bob Martin Clear Home Flea Spray Plus and spray on all soft furnishings, which kills fleas and ticks on contact for up to three months.
The Bob Martin Repellent cat collar.
3. Preventing problems in the first place
Prevention is vital, so it should be a key part of your pet care plan. Be sure to follow these steps to prevent pesky parasites:
1. Use the Bob Martin Clear Flea and Tick Repellent Collar, for cats and kittens, which prevents fleas and ticks for up to 12 weeks.
2. As cat owners know, worming is an essential part of pet care. Choose the correct Bob Martin Clear Wormer for your cat — they recommend worming every 12 weeks to be safe.
3. Use the Bob Martin Clear Flea & Tick Spray for Pets & Home, which is a high-quality preventative product that can be used on both cats and your home. It uses a ‘sticky trap’, which works against fleas at all stages of the lifecycle, stopping an infestation taking charge of your home. It also contains a repellent to keep the fleas away from your cat and their bedding.
By following the advice above, you and your best friend should be equipped to tackle whatever the dreaded flea, tick, and worm season throws at you!
For more information on these products, visit www.bobmartin.co.uk