Join our friendly cat community

Women are more clued up to what their animals can eat

Women are more clued up to what their animals can eat

New research shows that British pet owners are putting their furry friends at risk by filling their homes with items that could prove fatal.

New research has found that when shown a list of common household goods, including chocolate, grapes and alcohol, only 35 per cent of owners could identify items that are poisonous to pets.

Over 75 per cent of pet owners polled didn’t know that blue cheese can lead to convulsions in animals due to the mycotoxins present in the mould, while 91 per cent who wouldn’t consider ice-cream a toxic treat, are unaware it can be hard for pets to digest.

Respondents were also in the dark over which non-edible household items prove a health hazard for cuddly companions.

One in five didn’t know that slug pellets can kill, while 45 per cent weren’t aware that alcohol is also a poison.

Letting pets eat normal household food like grapes, mushrooms, avocado and nuts, can cause bouts of diarrhoea, seizures and in the worst scenarios, death.

So far this year,, who commissioned the survey, have accepted 200 claims for treatment of poisoning, totalling a whopping £50,000 of veterinary treatment.

While 95 per cent of owners regularly stock pet-toxic items, over 66 per cent were clueless on the signs they’d see if their animal had been poisoned.

But it seems women are more clued up to what their animals can eat, as more pets owned by men have eaten something toxic.

According to the stats, 9% of owners claim they put in more effort to safeguard their pet from poisonous items at home, than they do their children, while one in five owners ended up removing items from their home.

Sadly, 68% of those polled say their fears about poisoning extends to outside the home as they worry their animal may be deliberately poisoned while out and about.