Your Cat magazine blog
Easter is just around the corner, and while we may be looking forward to tucking into plenty of chocolate, your pets will not.
British Veterinary Association (BVA) has warned that over half of UK vets treated pets for chocolate poisoning last Easter, with the East Midlands saw the highest average number of cases, with vets in the area seeing two cases of poisoning each on average.
Although awareness about chocolate poisoning is increasing amongst pet owners, the BVA figures show that the majority of vets still see urgent cases because chocolate treats have not been secured out of reach.
Chocolate is toxic because it contains theobromine – a naturally occurring chemical found in cocoa beans which animals excrete much less effectively than humans.
Vet John Blackwell, BVA President, says: “Easter should be a happy time for all the family including loved pets, and BVA urges pet owners to take precautions to ensure that their pet does not become one of the thousands of cases treated for accidental chocolate poisoning, which tragically can sometimes be fatal. The majority of the cases we see are because a pet has accidentally managed to get access to chocolate despite the owner’s best intentions.
“Make sure you know how to contact your vet out of hours and over the bank holiday weekend when opening hours may be different. If you are away from home, use the RCVS’s Find a Vet online service [http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/] to find a veterinary practice in an emergency.”